Beginners questions

Cassandra von Ahrcanburg proudmouse at tlink.de
Sun Dec 1 08:32:24 PST 2013

On Fri, 29 Nov 2013 21:14:58 +0100
John Marino <dragonflybsd at marino.st> wrote:

>> Graphics board
> nVidia is not a good choice for FreeBSD.
> AMD Radeons have a slightly more promising future.

I've been told that the nVidia binary driver is quite functional and
well updated. AMD Radeons have open source driver in the making, but
the current boards (Rx 200) do not work at all - under FreeBSD at least.

> Apparently your best bet is KMS-based intel graphics chips.  People
> are using these with great success, but I am not speaking from
> personal experience.  As a (sad) nVidia customer, I'm stuck on vesa
> driver.

Yeah, I was quite surprised to read about that because in the past the
support for Intel graphics really sucked rocks. But it seems that Intel
wants to change this and thus has already taken several steps into the
right direction.

> The only docs I know are about two years old.  Matt posts from time to
> time on the mail list about current status (which can also be seen on
> Shining Silence), so google can help there.

Actually, I did try google but somehow found only short updates a la
"This is what we did now." The first link you sent me looks promising.
I'll read all three docs when I have a quite moment. Thanks!

> I'll have to let others comment here.
> I know about HAMMER1 just enough to be dangerous. :)

Oh, do I know that one. :-D

Kind regards,
Cassi