Opinions on SMF

Freddie Cash fjwcash at gmail.com
Mon Aug 26 15:09:20 PDT 2013

On Mon, Aug 26, 2013 at 2:52 PM, Petr Janda <elekktretterr at exemail.com.au>wrote:

> > Having looked at the LibreOffice code base, I can say for sure Sun did
> > many unlogical things with it. We could even call that crap.
> >
> > NIH syndrom, groupthink, ingrained development practices etc... were
> > probably more likely motivators than maintaining long term code quality
> > and cleanliness.
>
> OpenOffice, was always a 2nd class citizen for Sun. I don't think you
> can compare these two.

And they bought the codebase from a third-party (StarOffice or something)
that had envisioned it as a full-fledged desktop shell replacement.

So, by looking at the LibreOffice codebase, you're looking at:
  - original, ancient StarOffice code
  - Sun Microsystem's updated OpenOffice.org code
  - Oracle OpenOffice.org code
  - Apache OpenOffice.org code (maybe)
  - LibreOffice code

Not exactly a good example of poor Sun coding practices.  :)

--
Freddie Cash
fjwcash at gmail.com