DPorts and gcc version

John Marino dragonflybsd at marino.st
Mon Apr 15 08:08:25 PDT 2013

On 4/15/2013 16:43, Vitaly Shevtsov wrote:
> Hello!
>
> I've decided to try dports. I successfully compiled xorg-server and
> fluxbox. The I typed "fluxbox -info" and saw this:
>
> Fluxbox version: 1.3.5
> Compiler: GCC
> Compiler version: 4.4.7 2012.03.13.
>
> So my question is why gcc 4.4.7 was used to compile dports packages? I
> thought 4.7.2 is now default GCC in DragonFly.

We found out through experience with pkgsrc that around 10% of the
packages will fail when built by gcc 4.7 due to more stringent checks.
Since our primary intent was to build the most number of packages as
fast as possible, the decision was made to make the default compiler for
dports as 4.4.  We use gcc 4.7 though for programs needing libgomp,
libssp, or those written in objective-c.  Programs written in fortran or
Ada are compiled with an externally-built gcc 4.7.

ports makefiles have a directive USE_GCC - if the value of it is > 4.4
then the base gcc 4.7 will be used automatically.  Over time, ports will
be updated and build with gcc 4.6+ without issue, it's mainly old
software that has this problem.

It is possible to override this and make gcc 4.7 build everything, but I
would not recommend this since nobody has determined which packages will
fail yet.  Because of dports, I recommend that people always build both
base compilers when rebuilding dragonfly from source.

John