Dummynet + PF + vkernel

Raimundo Santos raitech at gmail.com
Thu Apr 11 10:52:09 PDT 2013

Hi all!

It is been a long time since I played a little with the NTFS driver within
dlfy :)

By now, I am working to a wifi ISP (and a webhosting in the near future)
and we need to change our systems and equipaments. One of the most dificult
thing of wifi access is limiting the bandwidth, because it need to be done
via IP address. I really like the PF approach to QoS, NAT and a lot more
things on it, but it do not permit overbooking.

Dummynet is really a solution for me, and I was thinking: what about
running Dummynet inside a vkernel and just forward the packets to the
'real' kernel, which in turn will run PF?

I was doing some tests with FreeBSD, but ipfw syntax and logic do not make
much sense for me, a think it is hard to maintain.

What about this idea? Are the performance something to be aware of?

Thank you!

Raimundo A. P. Santos
Bacharelando em Informática
ICMC - USP