GCC 4.7.2 : Get it into DragonFly 3.2 or wait for 3.3 branch?

John Marino dragonflybsd at marino.st
Tue Sep 25 00:27:38 PDT 2012

On 9/24/2012 20:47, Justin Sherrill wrote:
> On Sep 24, 2012 10:45 AM, "John Marino" <dragonflybsd at marino.st
> <mailto:dragonflybsd at marino.st>> wrote:
>  >
>  > Option 1:
>  > Import GCC 4.7.2 and disable GCC 4.1 prior to the branch.  GCC 4.4
> would remain the primary compiler.  Risk is minimal as GCC 4.1 is not
> used anywhere, including pkgsrc.  GCC 4.1 source and makefiles would
> remain in place well into DragonFly 3.3 development
> (Snip)
> This makes general sense to me, as it doesn't change the working
> compiler.  This would work well for moving to gcc 4.7 in our 3.4 release.
> The pkgsrc-2012q3 release is due at month end and I have some major
> events happening at work.  My thought was that we branch next week, with
> actual release two weeks after that.  Does that give enough time to get
> it in?  I don't know if that will be enough for everyone; it's just my
> inital plan.

Assuming all the changes necessary to bring in GCC 4.7.2 are complete by 
Sunday, I'd recommend waiting 8 days (the following Monday) to branch 
and maintaining the 14 days to release.  I think 8 days would be enough 
time to flush out any world build problems, not that I plan on 
introducing any.

It also gives a little more time to flush out any anomalies with the 
revamped usched_dfly.


More information about the Users mailing list