Top ten interesting broken packages (Volunteers?)

Mike Small smallm at panix.com
Mon Sep 17 20:44:41 PDT 2012

John Marino <dragonflybsd at marino.st> writes:

> 01.  Emacs 24        (editors/emacs24 + editors/emacs24-nox11).
> Problems with package:
> 01.  build utility "temacs" segfaults

This was caused by the C runtime startup objects not being linked (the
link command used -nostdlib). There wasn't any _start symbol to be
found, so ld threw up its hands and settled on the beginning of .text
for the entry point. The only thing there was the puts function IIRC.

My attempt at a fix is in the url at the end of this email. I don't know
much about the c runtime startup process and just took the word of
gcc -v on what was necessary:

/usr/lib/crt1.o /usr/lib/crti.o /usr/lib/gcc44/crtbegin.o {application modules} -lgcc -lc -lgcc /usr/lib/gcc44/crtend.o /usr/lib/crtn.o

To avoid hard coding the gcc44 directory I used
$CC --print-libgcc-file-name to indirectly derive the paths of the two
modules in the gcc subdirectory. Not sure what should be done here to
support clang.

Some of the other operating systems, including FreeBSD, that you see
nearby in the first case statement in the diff link in a file called
pre-crt0.o from the emacs distribution. I don't think this is needed so
I left it out. All it does is define the symbol data_start, I guess to
mark off the beginning of the data segment. But if you look at where
that's used it isn't involved at all by the elf version of the unexec
image dump code, and its use is prevented in start_of_data() in
vm-limit.c by virtue of the BSD_SYSTEM macro being defined.

Version 24.2 looks like it applied the security patch that was in
patch-lisp_files.el so I've removed that file.

Last of all, pkgsrc now has newer versions of autoconf and automake than
were used to generate the configure script, so this patch includes a
large diff to `configure' because of all the macro changes, as well as a
new aclocal.m4. Is that how autotools updates should be handled or would
it have been better for me to get the old autoconf 2.68 to regenerate
configure with minimal changes?

http://www.panix.com/~smallm/pkgsrc_dfly_emacs24_segfault.patch.gz

--
Mike Small