Thoughts on llvm/clang in base

Justin Sherrill justin at shiningsilence.com
Sat Oct 13 10:28:32 PDT 2012

On Sat, Oct 13, 2012 at 12:46 PM, Carsten Mattner
<carstenmattner at gmail.com> wrote:
> May I ask the Dragonfly developers what their opinion is regarding
> llvm/clang efforts as exercised by FreeBSD and Bitrig? I'm not
> suggesting making such a change but just asking for your thoughts.

clang works now as a compiler on DragonFly.  You can add it from
pkgsrc.  See 'man compilers.conf'

http://leaf.dragonflybsd.org/cgi/web-man?command=compilers.conf&section=ANY

If I recall correctly, you can build world and maybe kernel with it.
You can also use it for pkgsrc.

Because John Marino is doing an impressive job bringing in newer
versions of gcc, and also because we're not terribly worried about the
existence of the GPL, there's no rush to make it part of the base
since it's already usable with little effort.

There's other people with different opinions on this, but that's a
fair summation, I think/