Fwd: Single boot EFI Mac install

John Marino dragonflybsd at marino.st
Sat Mar 24 01:26:17 PDT 2012

On 3/24/2012 02:48, peeter (must) wrote:

> Thanks, this is very interesting. Could you describe your boot
> setting, i.e. did you use GPT or MBR? Did you put /boot partition in a
> separate GPT/MBR partition or was it in a big bsd slice? What
> filesystem did DragonFly have?

I started with MBR, and then I converted it to GPT using gdisk which was
a bad idea.  It may have worked if I started with a GPT formatted disk,
but I got a missing-bios flag error message before the conversion.
Using bad advice from the internet, I added this flag to a partition
using gparted and proceeded to lose all the data in that partitions.  Oops.

> I guess I ended up at the same place with grub-1.99. I created
> bootx64.efi image (btw, my mbpro5,5 has 64bit EFI, so 32bit efi did
> not work) and blessed it; and EFI-boot to grub2; and grub2 could list
> the file contents of FreeBSD partitions in the grub2 shell, but no
> "kfreebsd /loader" or "kfreebsd /kernel/kernel" worked. Actually, the
> latter was most promising in the sense that it did not produce an
> error message; it went off and hang.
>
> I also tried to see if grub2 recognizes any DragonFly partitions. I
> cheated a little; I created GPT partitions with FreeBSD's gpart which
> labels them "freebsd ufs"; then disklabel64-d with DragonFly and newfs
> (ufs). Now grub2 saw directories as files; it seemed it has the same
> understanding of DragonFly's ufs as FreeBSD---which thought they're a
> little corrupted.
>
> So it seems to me that grub2 does not even correctly identify files on
> a DragonFly filesystem and then also can't find or boot them.

Maybe that's the source of the "unrecognized signature" that I was
seeing.  I agree, there's nothing to suggest that grub2 can handle
DragonFly out of the box.  To be fair, FreeBSD people were getting the
same message.

> Do you know if grub-legacy handles gpt partitions?
 > Peeter

I don't know, I'm sorry.  My grub knowledge is very limited.

John