DragonFly GUI desktop at work - not bad at all

Stéphane Russell srussell at prodigeinfo.qc.ca
Fri Jul 20 14:04:05 PDT 2012

Carsten Mattner a écrit :
> On Fri, Jul 20, 2012 at 8:33 PM, Stéphane Russell
> <srussell at prodigeinfo.qc.ca>  wrote:
>> John Marino a écrit :

>>> It might be time to rethink that approach.  The gnome library version
>>> numbers are all mismatched.  Some are 2.24, others 2.26, others 2.32.
>>> Effectively they can't all be brought to the current level of glib2 due to
>>> the increasing amount of linux-only functionality there.  The days of Gnome
>>> on non-Linux might be numbered, at least modern Gnome...
>>>
>>> On the flipside, KDE has been compiling completely and all the modules
>>> have matching versions numbers.  Currently KDE 3.5 just lost regressed a
>>> module or two, but before that we had fully building KDE 3.5 and 4.8.x.
>>>
>>> XFCE has been building as well, but it's still on 4.6
>>>
>>> John
>> I think your right about this. Even the Illumos community complains about
>> this.
> Complaining is important, but contributing platform support patches
> (if you have the skills) would possibly be a better choice, wouldn't it?

I never complain, I only report bugs when I think it will be useful to
someone. The Illumos community was the one who complained :-) Once I had
all my time to myself, but with a full time job, 17 hours of train a
week, a family and a house to maintain, please forgive the little left...

I did try to publish some useful packages but I'll have to seek for
another computer to install a current version of DragonFly to succeed,
otherwise my work gets completely obsolete before I publish it. I also
tried to create a BSD group in french for my area, but people here are
using Linux. I cancelled it for lack of interest.

Contribution for OpenSource should also be seeked in corporations like
many I know, who are using tons of «free» OpenSource (and unlike me
making money of it), never returning anything back to the community -
even when I advise them that «free» is a relative word. That's the price
of «freedom», sometime I don't blame Larry Ellison for closing Solaris
even if it was unethical! Where were the tons of free Sun product users
while Sun was on bankruptcy? Now, theses belongs to Oracle, pay!

DragonFly will have to focus on open requests to community and a
donation button on it's portal to get more help. I know theses are tasks
in progress.

Cheers

SR