machine won't start

Raimundo Santos raitech at gmail.com
Tue Jul 3 14:42:40 PDT 2012

--e89a8f646c1b67b5c904c3f3cc55

On 3 July 2012 18:15, Carsten Mattner <carstenmattner at gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I tried to install dfly 3.0.2 on an old amd64 box.
>
> When setup was in the configuration phase it didn't allow setting
> passwords with : or other characters.

Well, I have this issue too: only alphanumeric chars. Booooooring :S

My workaround: just let the root pwd be anything simple and do not create
users with the installer.

Another very insane issue: when let the installer handle the time config,
my machine stay in the UTC and only changed when dntpd was activated. 0_o

> At that point I hit hard (cold) reset and since that time the machine
> won't leave the BIOS startup phase (POST?).
>
> Took out the CMOS battery for a minute to no avail. Anything else I
> should try? Is it possible that the ROM or CPU has been damaged by
> the installer? I can't even get into the BIOS via DEL.
> I'll take out the CMOS battery overnight and try tomorrow.
>
> Thanks for any help.

Well... you are very lucky! :)

Try to boot without the HDD and see what happens.

cheers!

raitech

--=20
Raimundo A. P. Santos
Bacharelando em Inform=E1tica
ICMC - USP

--e89a8f646c1b67b5c904c3f3cc55

=3D"ltr"><<a href=3D"mailto:carstenmattner at gmail.com" target=3D"_blank">=
l_quote" style=3D"margin:0 0 0 .8ex;border-left:1px #ccc solid;padding-left=
:1ex">

Hi,<br>
I tried to install dfly 3.0.2 on an old amd64 box.<br>
When setup was in the configuration phase it didn't allow setting<br>
 this issue too: only alphanumeric chars. Booooooring :S<br><br>My workarou=
nd: just let the root pwd be anything simple and do not create users with t=
he installer.<br>

g, my machine stay in the UTC and only changed when dntpd was activated. 0_=
 0px 0px 0.8ex;border-left:1px solid rgb(204,204,204);padding-left:1ex">

At that point I hit hard (cold) reset and since that time the machine<br>
won't leave the BIOS startup phase (POST?).<br>
Took out the CMOS battery for a minute to no avail. Anything else I<br>
should try? Is it possible that the ROM or CPU has been damaged by<br>
the installer? I can't even get into the BIOS via DEL.<br>
I'll take out the CMOS battery overnight and try tomorrow.<br>
Thanks for any help.<br>
o A. P. Santos<br>

Bacharelando em Inform=E1tica<br>ICMC - USP<br>

--e89a8f646c1b67b5c904c3f3cc55--