What's the prognosis for KDE and XFCE?

John Marino dragonflybsd at marino.st
Sun Dec 30 06:24:37 PST 2012

On 12/30/2012 14:19, Pierre Abbat wrote:
> On Sunday, December 30, 2012 13:08:36 John Marino wrote:
>> binary packages?  Because all of these should be buildable from source.
>
> I tried to build KDE and got an error in strigi, which I posted on 12-09, and
> got no answer. Building from source (in the normal place, not doing a bulk
> build) takes a long time, because it often stops in a dependency, because
> "bmake replace" in the main package doesn't cause "bmake replace" in the
> dependency.

You should check bulk build logs.  Strigi has not failed in a long time.
  It definitely passes on Q4 coming out very soon.

As far as "bmake replace" goes, I understand the criticism.  Perhaps the
best approach is to build from scratch in a chroot and you don't have to
worry about it.

Unfortunately there's not a lot of QA on the binary packages right now
-- if something fails for any random reason that should build, there
hasn't been a "second pass" to pick it up.

The other thing to note is typically pkgsrc errors need to be reported
to the pkgsrc mail lists.  You can cc: us with PR numbers, etc.  You
didn't get any response on strigi because nobody else saw it, and thus
we assumed its a local issue.  At least we'd want to see multiple
confirmations (e.g. failure in a bulk build).

John