Starting KDE causes computer to freeze

Pierre Abbat phma at phma.optus.nu
Tue Aug 21 12:37:28 PDT 2012

I just upgraded the kernel to v3.1.0.1391.g26dd3-DEVELOPMENT and rebooted. I
then logged into KDE. I got a window saying that Nepomuk Stub had crashed,
which hadn't happened before (I see a window saying that Konversation
crashes, when it's been running several days). A few seconds later, while my
browser window was reloading its tabs from last session, the computer froze.
I rebooted with the power button and the exact same thing happened.

I then tried booting the old kernel. When it tried to initialize the network,
I saw the same sort of nonsensical interface names as when I booted the new
kernel (for fixing the hosed filesystem) wiht the old world.

I have succeeded in logging into XFCE, so I have a useful GUI, but the start
button is missing.

Pierre
--
Jews use a lunisolar calendar; Muslims use a solely lunar calendar.