3.0.2 -- pkg_radd problem

Donald Allen donaldcallen at gmail.com
Thu Apr 26 18:30:17 PDT 2012

On Thu, Apr 26, 2012 at 4:08 PM, Sascha Wildner <saw at online.de> wrote:
> On Thu, 26 Apr 2012 20:40:19 +0200, Donald Allen <donaldcallen at gmail.com>
> wrote:
>
>>> What does 'pkg_info | grep dhcp' give?
>>

>> pkg_info: cannot read meta data file +COMMENT of package
>> isc-dhcp-4.2.3p2: No such file or directory
>

> To me it looks like the install somehow failed. You didn't mention any
> errors from the installer so far so I guess you didn't have any?

In my second message in this thread, I speculated that this might be
my error. It was. There *was* an error during the install that
appeared minor (it was during the loading of system files, so
consistent with this problem) and the installer was happy to go on
after 'retry' didn't work and I skipped it. It didn't hit me that this
could be the issue until I got your message and saw what you said
above. I'm getting old. Anyway, I think the cd-rw I burned was bad
(though I got no indication that there was an I/O error during the
install). I burned a new cd-r from the same .iso file, re-installed
and all is well now. I'm typing at you from the system.

One thing: as I said in my first post, this system is installed on a
machine with an Intel D510MO motherboard. The board has Intel Pineview
graphics hardware. The 'intel' video driver provided by this release
of Dragonfly, v2.7, does not work with this hardware. When I attempt
to start X, the screen goes dark and that's all she wrote. The only
way to recover that I've found is to reboot, though the system is
still up (I can ssh into it, but killing the startx and xinit
processes doesn't get the terminal back and I can't switch terminals
with ctrl-alt-Fn). I installed the vesa driver and that's what I'm
using, though it's pretty ugly.

Dragonfly is installed in a 100 GB partition I use for experimentation
(Arch Linux is installed in the other 400 GB). I've played with all
the BSDs on this machine. FreeBSD also provides an 'intel' video
driver that also does not work. Their 'intel29' driver does work, but
the performance is pitiful. NetBSD does the same thing Dragonfly does:
there's an 'intel' driver, X won't start, and killing xinit doesn't
get the terminal back. OpenBSD works fine, but I've got other problems
with that system (e.g., lack of real SMP support), including the
behavior of the project leader and his team. The Arch Linux 'intel'
driver works fine.

Thanks very much for your help with the install issue; you pointed me
in the right direction.

/Don