How can I disable login banner?

Sascha Wildner saw at online.de
Thu Sep 1 07:18:19 PDT 2011

On Thu, 01 Sep 2011 16:14:57 +0200, Andrey N. Oktyabrski <ano at bestmx.ru>
wrote:

On 01.09.11 17:54, Sascha Wildner wrote:
I want to disable login banner for some users. After reading "man
motd", I have created the $HOME/.hushlogin, but login banner remains.
What is wrong? How can I disable login banner?
Hmm, that's weird. I just tried it here (touch ~/.hushlogin) and the
motd was no longer shown upon re-login.
To be clear: I don't see the "Last login: ...", I see something same as
"fortune" prints. So, I have disabled login banner, but not fortune.
Fortune? Oh that isn't part of /etc/motd. It is just a call to fortune(6)
via .login or .profile.

It comes in via the standard dot files in /usr/share/skel (which were
probably copied when you created the users with some tool).

Just comment it out in those files (~/.profile, ~/.login).

Sascha

--
http://yoyodyne.ath.cx