running whois on African IP address returns ARIN record

joris dedieu joris.dedieu at gmail.com
Wed Nov 9 12:09:29 PST 2011

2011/11/9 Pierre Abbat <phma at phma.optus.nu>:
> I ran a whois query that appeared in a scam email:
>
> whois 41.203.233.134
>
> This returns a record that says it's in Ebene Cyber City, Mauritius.
> Adding "-h whois.afrinic.net" reveals that it's actually in Burkina Faso. Is
> this an old version of whois? The date of the file is August 21 this year,
> but the last update of the ARIN record was in 2010.
>
> Pierre
Unlike Marco d'Itri's whois implementation that you will find in most
linux distro, DragonFlyBSD's whois does not embed a list of prefixes
distribution. So it will ask arin.net for every request on an ip.
You may find several whois implementations on pkgsrc. As far as I know
there is no BSD implementation of an elaborate whois as Marcos's one.

Joris