md5 sums and hammerfs encryption

Alex Hornung ahornung at gmail.com
Tue May 24 23:07:50 PDT 2011

Hi,

On 24/05/11 18:42, Milo wrote:
> - On wikipedia I found that hammerfs is supporting transparent
> encryption but I was unable to find more details about that while
> checking linked to article's page man pages and notes. Can you shed some
> light on this topic?

HAMMER itself doesn't provide any encryption support. Our transparent
encryption is file-system agnostic (you can also encrypt your swap and
UFS, for example) and is implemented in the device mapper (dm) as
dm_target_crypt. To use it, you should check out the cryptsetup man
page, or for that matter, any linux dm-crypt disk encryption tutorial,
since we have the same *userland* tools.

The installer also has support for creating encrypted volumes on install
already.

Hope that helps,
Alex Hornung