DragonflyBSD on Areca w/ HAMMER

Dean Hamstead dean at fragfest.com.au
Mon May 30 22:09:20 PDT 2011

Hi Guys

Im thinking about reloading my home file server with dragonflybsd.
Mainly so i can take advantage of the rather awesome looking HAMMER
filesystem.

My home server has an Areca 1260 SAS raid card, which is reported as
being supported by the arcmsr man page.

Im looking for confirmation from other users that areca cards work well,
and that the admin tools are supported from freebsd or otherwise
implemented independently.

Also id like to get some feedback that HAMMER is up to the task of being
belted really hard over sustained periods.

Im also not able to see find a conclusive answer to if HAMMER can be
expanded (as im relatively frequently adding more disks, and expanding
my raid array - currently im using UFS tool growfs)

I have dabbled with ZFS on freebsd, but found it wanting. HAMMER seems
much more 'next generation' - rather than just collapsing some raid
features in to the filesystem.

Dean
--
http://fragfest.com.au