Unable to login with PPPoE (2.10-RELEASE x86)

Georg Bege therion at ninth-art.de
Thu Jul 7 03:53:14 PDT 2011

Thanks for your ideas.
Well no without any route assignment - of course I dont get anything.
With the default route assignment which gets set despite the error
message I can resolve hosts but cant ping anything.

I'll consider the mtu/mru settings - fact is that I prior to this didnt
have set them at all and I got a warning saying they get adjusted <1500.
But maybe it is as you say, that I have to adjust mtu but not mru.
I have to say Im not really skilled with the internals of PPP(oE).

If I do ping for now I dont get anything, no error message - maybe a
timeout but I didnt wait that long.
I'll also check with your ping cmd suggestions, cant check now - I'll do
so in the evening.

cheers
Georg

On Thu, 2011-07-07 at 10:05 +0000, Chris Turner wrote:

> On Thu, Jul 07, 2011 at 10:50:46AM +0200, Georg Bege wrote:
> > The funny thing is, addresses do get resolved (if I dont have any
> > default) I dont get anything (no dns/resolving).
> > But ping doesnt get through nor any kind of connection.
>
> Do I have this correct:
>
>  - without the route assignment, dns lookups are working
>  - with the route assignment, dns lookups are not working?
>
> I didn't actually see the address assignment in your ifconfig
> output - was the ppp0 device output truncated or ?
>
> If I am correct, it sounds like perhaps some data is flowing but
> not all - which could indicate an MTU mismatch
>
> Though I don't have direct pppoe experience on FreeBSD/DragonFly -
> I did once use the OpenBSD implementation (which uses a userspace daemon
> rather than the netgraph device) -
>
> I had some issues with the mtu matchup which caused some issues -
>
> My archived configuration had :
>
>  set mtu max 1492
>  # set mru max 1492
>
> so you might try commenting out the mru portion?
>
> What does the ping of e.g. the remote gateway, show exactly?
> host unreachable or something else?
>
> Its been a while since I debugged an MTU mismatch but iirc
> if you can ping the gateway but not something else (like say your upstream
>  dns server ) and the routes look ok (and tcpdump is showing the packets
> flowing out )
>
> you can set some combination of ping -p and -D to detect the mismatch
>
> again, IIRC, I think e.g.:
>
> ping -p 1500 <routed IP? gateway IP?>
> ping -p 1492 <routed IP? gateway IP?>
> -> works
> ping -D -p 1492 <routed IP? gateway IP?>
> -> works
> ping -D -p 1500 <routed IP? gateway IP?>
> -> fails
>
> or something like this - I'd verify what I'm saying with some searching :D
>
> or maybe someone can chime in?
>
> that wouldn't explain why the config is working on one but not the other,
> though I do recall that some of the default settings might be different
> w/r/t freebsd, etc. in ppp from previous adventures with PPP (using GSM devices)
>
> good luck!
>
> Cheers,
>
> - Chris

!DSPAM:4e158f3a844724810620489!