Hammer recover question

Tim Darby t+dfbsd at timdarby.net
Sun Feb 20 13:32:07 PST 2011

I have a very old server that I was pretty sure was going to fail sometime soon, so I prudently started building a new one.  Unfortunately, I wasn't quite fast enough and the boot drive failed this week.  When it tries to mount root, it issues the usual successful hammer startup messages and then quickly fails with:

READ_DMA status=51<READY,DSC,ERROR> error=40<UNCORRECTABLE>

This was a 1.8.2 system.  Having a 1.9 system handy, I plugged the drive (300GB IDE) into it and tried hammer recover for the first time to see what I could save.  The good news is that it's recovering a ton of data!  The bad news is that it's taking an incredible amount of time.  So far it's been running 24 hours.  Is that to be expected?  The bad disk had approximately 50GB on it, as reported by the df utility, but I don't know how much of that is snapshots.

Tim