HAMMER: WARNING: Missing inode for dirent

Matthew Dillon dillon at apollo.backplane.com
Thu Sep 30 09:22:53 PDT 2010

    Generally speaking you should not be getting those message when
    you are doing things on the live r/w filesystem, but you CAN get
    those messages when you are messing around with snapshots, and
    that includes running 'undo' on the live r/w filesystem.

    In particular running undo can cause these messages to appear
    because undo will try to use unofficial transaction ids (those
    for which an official snapshot has not been made), and these
    unofficial transaction ids can 'catch' the filesystem in the
    middle of an operation that happened to be split between two
    transactions.

    I'd rather not remove the warnings just yet, there are some
    split transaction cases which aren't supposed to happen but
    still do that I want to eventually track down and fix.

    Access through official snapshots (found in /var/hammer) can
    also cause the messages to appear sometimes if the snapshot
    was taking while a file was in flux.  It isn't supposed to
    happen for official snapshots but it still does sometimes.

					<dillon at backplane.com>