USB image

Tron tron at hotbox.ru
Wed Sep 29 18:45:10 PDT 2010

       Thanks Dylan, it is clear now.
       However, given your example of those other Linux ditro's, I am
    wondering why the DF group decided to build their images this way if
    there is an alternative.  I mean if DF seriously  wants to expand
    its ranks the best way is from the herds of Windows users and most
    of them know nothing about Unix.  So the easier the route to see
    what DF can do - the more likely is someone to put in the effort.
    With this USB example alone: first, a newbie has to get the USB
    image, second realize (probably the hard way 'cause there is no
    mention of this on the download page) that the writing app is
    completely different from the one they use to write their CD images
    with and ultimately see that even though the DF image is small he
    can't move anything else onto the flash disk (which may be
    particularly frustrating if they only have the big one they just
    bought)...  I think it is easy to see how many novices may get
    discouraged with DF and give up almost before they began.
    Fortunately, I am strongly motivated, have been to DF's IRC channel
    before and have finally succeeded in signing up on this help list
    (which also wasn't the most straight forward thing ever... and could
    not have happened without my knowledge of IRC).  My point is, I
    think you are a great bunch of guys who have done one hell of a job,
    but if you want to attract not just the most experience computer
    users, the route from A-B, never mind from A-Z should be easier.

    Many thanks,
    Tron.