Why did you choose DragonFly?

Przemysław Pawełczyk pp_o2 at o2.pl
Mon Sep 20 15:35:17 PDT 2010

On Tue, 21 Sep 2010 01:06:42 +0300
Stathis Kamperis <ekamperi at gmail.com> wrote:

> 2010/9/20 Przemysław Pawełczyk <pp_o2 at o2.pl>:
> > On Mon, 20 Sep 2010 13:33:28 -0600
> > "Samuel J. Greear" <sjg at evilcode.net> wrote:
> >
> >> This mail is intended for the infrequent responders and lurkers on
> >> the list just as much as the regular posters.
> >>
> >> What has drawn you to use the DragonFly BSD operating system and/or
> >> participate in its development by following this list? Technical
> >> features, methodologies, something about the community? I suspect
> >> the HAMMER filesystem to be the popular choice, but what other
> >> features affect or do you see affecting your day to day life as an
> >> administrator, developer, or [insert use case here], now or in the
> >> future?
> >>

> > Hi Sam,
> >
> > A question for a question.
> >
> > Why _no one_ answered my question concerning DF BSD contained in my
> > post:
> > http://leaf.dragonflybsd.org/mailarchive/users/2010-07/msg00091.html
> >
> > What did I do wrong?
> >
> > I thought them over before I gathered enough temerity to ask here
> > for anything.
> >
> > Why do you ask me -"a lurker" - to answer your questions when you
> > (plural) are treating "the lurkers" that way?
> >
> > Regards
> >
> > --
> > Przemysław Pawełczyk (P2O2) [pron. Pshemislav Paveltchick]
> > http://pp.blast.pl, pp_o2 at o2.pl
> >

> Hi Przemysław!
> You certainly didn't do anything wrong. Nor anyone else did.
>
> There are threads that go unanswered because there aren't people in
> position to provide feedback. Either due to lack of knowledge,
> experience, time, w/e. Please remember that our community isn't
> exactly crowded, so there are a lot of unexplored territories.
>
> Sometimes it helps to join us in dragonflybsd channel @ efnet and ask
> there or reply to your own thread preferably with a small follow up to
> raise awareness or just figure things out yourself (which is very
> difficult).
>
> I hope you don't hold any hard feelings against us :)
>
> Best regards,
> Stathis

Hi,

Nope, it's a thing of the past. Forgotten. Now. :-)

A lot of changes one could observe on DF website from that
time. Let me point to one thing - DF is on BSD cutting edge of
development. Those who are interested in latest innovations on the BSD
side comes not only from developing circles or supporting teams of
large server farms.

Some questions can be stupid or suggesting the gaps in documentation.
New PC hardware is pretty powerfull - multicores' CPUs, terrabyte disks
etc. New BSD "flavors" attract people which want to fully utilize their
rigs. Most of us have a few PCs in home-network configurations.

Any unanswered question, the more so a few od them, creates bad
impression of OpenBSD forums, beg your pardon, but such is common view
of OpenBSD (closed?) community. It yould be great loss for the whole
effort around DF if the DF world was seen that way.

Regards to all,
Przemysław

--
Przemysław Pawełczyk (P2O2) [pron. Pshemislav Paveltchick]
http://pp.blast.pl, pp_o2 at o2.pl
pgp00002.pgp