Bulk buils space requirements

Justin C. Sherrill justin at shiningsilence.com
Thu Oct 21 12:45:19 PDT 2010

On Thu, October 21, 2010 2:36 am, Siju George wrote:
> HI,
>
> I got around 250 GB free on my desktop.
>
> I would like to try out a bulkbuild of pkgsrc ;-)
>
> will that space be enough?

I have some scripts that work as a wrapper around the bulk builds I do;
this may be more than you need, but I'd like to see if they make sense to
someone who is not me:

http://www.shiningsilence.com/simplepbulk/

The two caveats for you:

- Bulk builds take a week on decent hardware; you're building over 10,000
packages, after all.  The limited_list option in the pbulk config can let
you limit it to certain packages, which you may want to do.

- If you're doing this on Hammer, keep an eye on disk usage.  It generates
a huge amount of disk activity if you build everything, and Hammer will
happily keep track of all those changes.  I've filled terabyte disks
unintentionally by performing multiple builds.