No package installation method works

Torbjorn Granlund tg at gmplib.org
Thu Oct 21 05:05:56 PDT 2010

Dylan Reinhold <dylan at ocnetworking.com> writes:

  On 10/20/2010 11:30 PM, Torbjorn Granlund wrote:
  > Someone replied privately:
  >
  >    The problem here is that you are using make instead of bmake (which
  >    needs to be used for pkgsrc things).
  >
  > Ah, this indeed work.  I'll try to remember this when I, in some months,
  > need to install some additional pacage.
  >
  > Thanks to all who replied!

  What if make gave a 'hint' when run in /usr/pkgsrc.

  Something like
  # make
  make called in /usr/pkgsrc/www/zope, did you mean bmake?
  make: no target to make.

I am not a DragonflyBSD hacker, but I think your approach is a little
bit ugly, if I may say so.

It would be neater to have /usr/Makefile identify make and write a
message:

. INIT:
	@if [ `basename $(MAKE)` != bmake ]; then echo "Use bmake stupid"; exit 1;	fi

all:    .INIT
	blah blah

anothertarget:  .INIT
	blah blah

(Not too neat either, but this will at least work even with pkgsrc in a a
non-standard place.)

--
Torbjörn