Recommend me an AGP card for DragonFly

Max Herrgard herrgard at gmail.com
Thu Nov 11 12:13:34 PST 2010

Steve O'Hara-Smith wrote:
On Mon, 08 Nov 2010 09:56:41 +0100
Max Herrgard<herrgard at gmail.com>  wrote:
Hi list,

I feel it's time to get something faster than my old Matrox G450 to run
with the DragonFly box. Any recommendations? I don't want to upgrade to
PCIe yet as I would need to build a completly new box for that. And I
want 3D acceleration in X. I will probably do some ghetto silent cooling
thing, so not a too hot chip ;-)
	You're probably pretty much OK with almost any AGP ATI card, I've
had good results with a couple of 9200SE cards, an old All-In-Wonder
(Hercules branded) and an X1650 - that last is probably a bit too hot
though (fan on card and an extra power connector).
ceh from #netbsd.se hooked me up with a free Radeon 9200 (passive
cooled). I put it in box, changed driver in xorg.conf to 'radeon',
started X and ran glxgears:

8422 frames in 5.0 seconds = 1684.248 FPS

My old Matrox did ~350 FPS.

So that means instant 3D accl on DragonFly x86_64 with MesaLib-7.4.4nb3.

I'm so stoked right now :)
Max