HAMMER and RAID question

Konrad Neuwirth konrad at usenet.fimsch.net
Thu May 27 06:28:50 PDT 2010

Hello,

let me start this first by admitting that I know next to nothing about
designing and implementing file systems.  It is just that I've been
naively thinking about things.

It is my understanding that code has been added to reblock files during
production use.  Could this not also be the foundation of RAID-like
functionality? If blocklists had a notion that a block needs to exist on
at least two physical volumes, mirroring would already be there.

Or is this too far away from what HAMMER does internally these days?

Thank you,
 Konrad Neuwirth