swapcache Setup

Matthew Dillon dillon at apollo.backplane.com
Mon May 24 13:47:05 PDT 2010

:Hello All,
:
:   I added a How-To for setting up swapcache from my notes.
:
:http://www.dragonflybsd.org/docs/howtos/swapcache/
:
:Thanks,
:Dylan

    That looks pretty good.  The swapcache manual page has some extensive
    recommendations (but not the step-by-step that you put together for
    docs), the most important of which being that you might want to
    configure only 32G of swap on the 40G SSD instead of using all 40G.

    For a manufacturer-fresh SSD configuring only 32G out of the 40G
    leaves 8G which the SSD firmware will use to enhance its wear-leveling
    algorithms, improving the overall life of the SSD.

    Here are some suggestions:

    * When using a 40G SSD as an example configure only 32G of swap.

    * There is no need to newfs a swap partition.

    * Someone configuring swapcache fresh with no prior experience should
      start by only caching meta-data.  i.e. data_enable=0.

					<dillon at backplane.com>