Printing with lpr in OpenOffice won't work

Stephane Russell srussell at prodigeinfo.com
Sun Mar 21 19:56:19 PDT 2010

Hi,

I finally found the problem. Before trying like you said to simlink lp,
I runned /emul/linux/bin/bash and tried to type the lp command. If we
type lp or /bin/lp, lp works normally. But if I go into the emulator's
/usr/bin path and I type ./lp, it won't find the command even if it can
ls or execute /usr/bin/lp.

It's a strange behavior but that wasn't the problem, since lp was
working fine when called from the emulator's bash. After some search, I
found that the emulators tmp directory is read only to everybody except
root. So I changed the permissions to this:

chmod 1777 /emul/linux/tmp

And I also changed the permission of /emul/linux/dev/null in case,
because it was incorrectly specified:

chmod 666 /emul/linux/dev/null

That last one might not be useful, but now, everything's fantastik!

Thanks for the help.

SR

Chris Turner wrote:
Stephane Russell wrote:
Is there a way to send a printing to lpd with OpenOffice on DFBSD?
There is no lpr or lp binary available in the SUSE package, so I have
to send the print into a file and then do a lpr myself.
never tried this myself, but you might try either:

1) softlinking /compat/linux/usr/bin/lp to /usr/bin/lp
2) writing a /compat/linux/usr/bin/lp shell script that
   calls e.g. 'exec /usr/bin/lp $*'
this assumes openoffice uses lp to start with..
which I'd think it does, but anyway..
good luck.

- Chris