Networking problem - Just how to do this?

elekktretterr at exemail.com.au elekktretterr at exemail.com.au
Mon Jul 19 20:48:08 PDT 2010

The situation is like this:

DF Box is on a public IP - 1.1.1.2  - The box is connected to a switch,
and the switch is connected to the upstream router - 1.1.1.1

Now, I've also connected another router(Cisco ASA 5505) to the switch. Its
also got a public IP - 1.1.1.3 - and the router will be used to establish
VPN connections to another network on the internet. The problem is I dont
have a "private network", the DF box is on a public IP.

So I aliased the network interface on the DF Box and gave it a private IP:
10.0.0.2/24.

I'm kind of at loss as what to do next. Has anyone been in a similar
situation? Worst come worst i'll have to run another cable to the second
NIC on the DF Box and split the topology physically.

Thanks,
Petr