Anyone tried an Atom 330 with Dragonfly

Francois Tigeot ftigeot at wolfpond.org
Sat Jan 30 06:58:35 PST 2010

Hi,

On Sat, Jan 30, 2010 at 12:24:12PM +0000, Steve O'Hara-Smith wrote:

> 	One of my workstations died and I'm looking to replace it, since
> the computing needs are not great I thought it might be nice to use
> something low powered and the dual core Atom 330 looks like a good option.
>
> 	I'm a little torn between two Asrock boards the A330GC with an
> Intel chipset and the rather newer A330ION with it's faster memory and all
> out more of everything and apparently lower power consumption than the
> lesser Intel chipset.

There's a brand new generation of Atom CPUs out there since this month :

http://www.anandtech.com/cpuchipsets/showdoc.aspx?i=3692

If you can afford to wait a little while, I would recommend to go with an Atom
D510 (330 equivalent: two cores, 2 threads per core).

I'm thinking myself of getting this board soon:

http://www.supermicro.com/products/motherboard/ATOM/ICH9/X7SPA.cfm?typ=H

The two gigabit ethernet and 6 sata ports are particularly nice for a small
file server.

--
Francois Tigeot