dumpon

Matthew Dillon dillon at apollo.backplane.com
Fri Feb 5 18:50:08 PST 2010

:I was hacking at the time server (I have chrony on my Linux box, I couldn't
:get it to compile on DFly), found dntpd, tried to start it, and got an error
:about dumpon. So I booted the computer and when it tried to run dumpon, it
:said "device busy". I then commented swap out of /etc/fstab and rebooted. It
:gave the same error. Since it's supposed to save dumps to the swap space, why
:was the device busy, when I turned the swap space off? I'd like to make this
:work so that I can get a crash dump of my kernel panic bug.
:
:Pierre
:--
:Jews use a lunisolar calendar; Muslims use a solely lunar calendar.

    Are you sure it isn't assigning the dump device via the rc at boot?

    If you do it manually but it was already done by the boot sequence
    it will return busy.  You have to run 'dumpon off' and then try again,
    I think.

					<dillon at backplane.com>