Encrypted root questions

Alex Hornung ahornung at gmail.com
Wed Dec 22 00:59:06 PST 2010

Hi Tim,

On 20/12/10 03:10, Tim Darby wrote:
> [...] It issues the kill command but udevd apparently
> never responds.  This might explain why /tmp fails to unmount and also
> the seg-fault error.  I tried editing the rc script to change "kill
> $UDEVD_PID" to "kill -9" and those messages went away.  So what would
> cause udevd to not respond to SIGTERM?

I basically forgot to exit from the SIGTERM handler; I'll fix it ASAP,
thanks for reporting it.

>     - What are all these policies it keeps nagging about and should I
care?

They are the dsched scheduling policy messages. Every time a disk is
created/inserted in the system, dsched looks for a scheduling policy for
it. Since 'dm' creates virtual disks, these messages will appear for
every dm volume created. cryptsetup in particular sets up these
temporary volumes mapper/temporary-cryptsetup-N to check that the key is
correct, etc.
In short: no, you shouldn't care.

Regards,
Alex