Disabling snapshot symlinks during manual snapshot

Matthew Dillon dillon at apollo.backplane.com
Thu Apr 22 13:54:35 PDT 2010

:For a MS Windows user it will look like the actual pic below.
:
:http://picasaweb.google.com/sgeorge.ml/OpenBSDDesktop#5462824618389365522
:
:Clicking on the snapshot Directory they can get the snapshot contents :-)

    I am totally amazed that it actually works.  Wow, very cool.  Talk
    about instant gratification!

:I plan to configure a Slave mirror on another Disk for this PFS. I can
:then snapshot it Daily and Share the Snapshot Links Directory using
:another Samba Share.
:
:Suppose I configure the prune-min period of the Slave pfs as 2d.
:Will I be able to generate 5 min snapshots from it of the previous day
:from it should I lose the Master PFS Disk?
:
:I mean if you have the history retained for 2 days can you create
:snapshots of the filesystem of a previous time?

    Yes.  So, for example, if you were to set prune-min to 5d then
    no pruning will be done for the most recent 5 days worth of
    fine-grained history, regardless of what the snapshot interval
    is set to.  Thus you can safely access fine-grained transaction
    ids within the last 5 days.  Beyond 5 days, however, you have to
    use the snapshot transaction ids from the softlinks and/or snapls.

    This has not been well tested but that was the intent of the
    directive.

					<dillon at backplane.com>