Ideas and questions on pkgsrc

Matthew Dillon dillon at apollo.backplane.com
Tue Apr 13 12:09:27 PDT 2010

:On Tue, 13 Apr 2010, Aggelos Economopoulos wrote:
:
:> > talks about common packages to install via pkg_radd so people don't have
:> > to guess names.
:>
:> Directing them towards pkg_search should help, no?
:
:pkgin search
:
:> My by far most important gripe w/ pkgsrc is the inability to do mass
:> upgrades from binary packages in a straightforward manner. Not even sure
:> if it's anything the pkgsrc developers are concerned with.
:
:pkgin upgrade
:
:> What would you want that for? To the admin, having a way to ask "For
:> which of my installed packages are there newer versions that I can
:> upgrade too" sounds more useful.
:
:pkgin list
:
:If pkgin doesn't work well for you, please report the problems.

    I haven't yet tried pkgin.  But here's my question:  One thing apt-get
    does very well is it doesn't blow up your existing installs if
    it can't completely update everything that needs to be updated
    to install the application you want.  That is, it stages everything
    and makes sure it has all the pieces before it touches the installed
    base.

    Does pkgin do that?

					<dillon at backplane.com>