HEADS UP: BIND Removal. Short instructions for migration to pkgsrc-BIND

Jeremy C. Reed reed at reedmedia.net
Mon Apr 12 12:33:17 PDT 2010

On Mon, 12 Apr 2010, Jan Lentfer wrote:

> > Copy or link the rc script to /etc/rc.d/
> > # ln -s /usr/pkg/share/examples/rc.d/named9 /etc/rc.d/
>
> Don't link, copy. It seems a link is not working during boot.

Probably /usr/pkg not mounted yet?

> # cp /usr/pkg/share/examples/rc.d/named9 /etc/rc.d/

pkgsrc packages provide mechanism to do this automatically.
PKG_RCD_SCRIPTS=yes in the environment when doing a pkg_add of bind9.
(Also PKG_CONFIG=yes but that is the default.)
Same if installing from pkgsrc.

> > Stop your base-BIND
> > # /etc/rc.d/named stop
>
> Somehow on reboot the rc-script didn't pick up the right binary. So I also
> added:
>
> > edit /etc/rc.conf  remove named_enable="YES", then add
> >
> > named9_enable="YES"
> > named_chrootdir="/etc/namedb"

So the plan is to remove that from etc/defaults/rc.conf?

> > named_flags="-c named.conf"

Why?

> named_program="/usr/pkg/sbin/named"

The script already sets "command". Maybe you have a conflict with
named_program in etc/defaults/rc.conf?

> > The BIND packaged from pkgsrc is running with user named instead of bind,
> > so..
> > # chown -R named /etc/namedb

But that doesn't help if you need to temporarily revert to other named.
Set alternative using named_flags="-u bind" or set
BIND_USER and BIND_GROUP as appropriate in the mk.conf files when
building packages.