funny version number

Bernd Limbach limbachb at web.de
Fri Nov 27 08:45:32 PST 2009

Pierre Abbat schrieb:
I'm upgrading programs, and I saw this version number go by:
downloading tex-memoir-1.6180339e.6.0c.tgz: 100%
Who picked it?! If you don't see what's funny, see my sig.
Don't worry about it, while it uses tex-* - and therefore is
a tex macro/extension or something like that -  I assume you
can find the answer of teh number here:

	http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kepler_triangle

It's a constant number, similar to the version number of the
TeX typesetting system (PI = 3.1415...). Teh designer of teX
decided that with each new bugfix one more digit of teh
number PI will be added as version number. The development
itself is closed as far as I know.

Bernd