SMP users needed to test patch (make sysent)

Saifi Khan saifi.khan at datasynergy.org
Thu Nov 5 07:14:35 PST 2009

On Thu, 5 Nov 2009, Stathis Kamperis wrote:

> 2009/11/4 Stathis Kamperis <ekamperi at gmail.com>:
> > Hello everyone!
> >
> > I'd like to mark mq*() syscall as MPSAFE, but before that I need
> > someone to test them in an SMP capable machine running SMP kernel. I
> > only have UP machines around.
> >
> > So, if anyone is able and kind enough, here are some directions on how
> > to do it. I assume s\he is running HEAD.
> >
> > cd /usr/src
> > fetch http://leaf.dragonflybsd.org/~beket/mq-mpsafe.diff
> > git apply mq-mpsafe.diff
> > make buildkernel
> > make installkernel
> > reboot
> > git clone git://gitweb.dragonflybsd.org/~beket/pcca-tests.git
> > cd pcca-tests/mqueue.h
> > make && make -k run
> > cd etc
> > make
> > sysctl -w kern.mqueue.mq_prio_max=200
> > ./t_mq_parallel_threads
> > ./t_mq_parallel_fork
>
> Unfortunately, I forgot to mention one crucial step. After the patch
> application one should type 'make sysent' inside sys/kern, so that the
> syscall-related files be regenerated, namely the init_sysent.c. Or
> even better, *I* should have added the init_sysent.c changes in my
> patch. Since buildkernel doesn't regenerate these files automatically,
> I'm afraid that the tests ran with giant lock held upon syscall
> invocation.

Stathis, no issues at all !

i just began reading the kernel archives where the underlying
syscall messaging model design was being discussed, way back in
circa 2003.

Currently, i'm running Simon's "make -j" tests on a AMD64X2 box
and will just start your tests in about 15 min.

Stay tuned.

thanks
Saifi.