DragonFlyBSD make

Sascha Wildner saw at online.de
Tue Nov 3 01:08:02 PST 2009

Thomas Nikolajsen schrieb:
The tutorial isn't installed anymore, so link should go; but it is still in our repo:
http://gitweb.dragonflybsd.org/dragonfly.git/blob/HEAD:/usr.bin/make/PSD.doc/tutorial.ms
(online documented versoin can be found at e.g. http://www.freebsd.org/doc/en/books/pmake/)
Thomas, maybe the link in make(1) should only be commented out for now.

Installation of these documents was disabled a long time ago by Hiten or
Joerg (IIRC) when groff was removed from the build-tools. Although you
can still go to the directory in src/ and format oneself.

The situation might improve, however, now that we have mandoc(1), but I
haven't tested it on these documents.

It's true that much of the stuff in src/share/doc is outdated,
misleading etc., but there are several documents which actually contain
useful information (such as the PMake one).

We have several options I think:

* Leave things lying around until we utilize mandoc(1) better in favor
of groff and then think about whether installation of the still useful
documents should be done again (with mandoc(1) as a build-tool).

* Remove src/share/doc completely (user can dig this information himself
on the web).

* Commit formatted versions of the still useful documents and remove the
rest.

* ...

I'm favoring the first option but I could live with any of the other ones.

Sascha

--
http://yoyodyne.ath.cx