Seize During Boot

Bill Hacker wbh at conducive.org
Thu May 7 22:58:37 PDT 2009

TP Reitzel wrote:

ohci1.pci1.pcib1.pci0.pcib0.legacypci0.nexus0.root0 ohci1: <NEC uPD
9210 USB Controller> [tentative] mem 0xfddff000-0xfddfffff irq 10 at
device 10.0 on pci1 pcib1: device ohci1 requested decoded memory
range 0xfddff000-0xfddfffff usb1: OHCI version 1.0, legacy support
usb1.ohci1.pci1.pcib1.pci0.pcib0.legacypci0.nexus0.root0 usb1: <NEC
uPD 9210 USB controller> [tentative] on ohci1 usb1: USB revision 1.0
uhub1.usb1.ohci1.pci1.pcib1.pci0.pcib0.legacypci0.nexus0.root0 uhub1:
<NEC OHCI root hub, class 9/0, rev 1.00/1.00, addr 1> [tentative] on
usb1 uhub1: 3 ports with 3 removable, self powered uhub1:

At the final uhub1:, the cursor sits to the right of the colon and
the system is frozen. I have 3 USB video cameras plugged into these
three ports. If I unplug the cameras, DragonFly boots fine so the
problem isn't the actual 4 USB port PCI card, but rather the USB
cameras plugged into the USB ports of this PCI card, a Belkin FU220
????
If these same USB cameras are plugged into the onboard USB controller
(nForce 430 chipset), DragonFly boot fine as well. This problem needs
to be fixed for sure. HTH
Q1:

Once the system is already up..

- either booted without the cameras or

- booted with them initially on the nForce internal

What happens if the cameras are THEN plugged in to the Belkin?

Q2:

- Will the boot complete normally with just ONE camera on the Belkin?

- If so, how about TWO?

If one or two work, but NOT three, I'd suspect the current drain of
three cameras is too much for the Belkin to handle AND still keep its
bus conversations noise-free, clean-edged and within voltage and timing
tolerance.

If so, the 'fixed for sure' is not software.  it would need a stronger
attach pount (nForce), second Belkin, fewer cameras, or ...

. . external *powered* USB hub.

An oscilloscope would confirm that - but you probably arent in Hong
Kong, so mine is no use.

Bill