RAID 1 or Hammer

Simon 'corecode' Schubert corecode at fs.ei.tum.de
Wed Jan 14 00:36:08 PST 2009

Bjørn Vermo wrote:
   I've seen uncaught data corruption on older machines, but not in the
   last few years.  Ah, the days of IDE cabling problems, remembered
   fondly (or not).  I've seen bad data get through TCP connections
   uncaught!  Yes, it actually does happen, even more so now that OS's
   are depending more and more on CRC checking done by the ethernet
device.
Modern (meaning anything with an ATA or SCSI controller in it) drives
will do so much error checking and recovery that the time between
externally noticeable failures and total breakdown will be very short.
This seems to fail sometimes.  Recent work [1] has shown that silent data
corruption on HDDs is larger than expected.

cheers
  simon
[1] Bairavasundaram et al., An Analysis of Data Corruption in the Storage
Stack, USENIX FAST '08,
<http://www.usenix.org/events/fast08/tech/full_papers/bairavasundaram/bairavasundaram_html/index.html>
or
<http://www.usenix.org/events/fast08/tech/full_papers/bairavasundaram/bairavasundaram.pdf>

Alternatively, easier read:
Bairavasundaram et al., Data Corruption in the Storage Stack: A Closer
Look, USENIX ;login: June 2008,
<http://www.usenix.org/publications/login/2008-06/openpdfs/bairavasundaram.pdf>

--
  <3 the future  +++  RENT this banner advert  +++   ASCII Ribbon   /"\
  rock the past  +++  space for low €€€ NOW!1  +++     Campaign     \ /