OT - was Hammer or ZFS based backup, encryption

Bill Hacker wbh at conducive.org
Sat Feb 21 15:34:08 PST 2009

invalid at domain.invalid wrote:
On 2009-02-21, Csaba Henk <csaba.henk at creo.hu> wrote:

snip

I don't feel like dwelving into Solaris
This is a little off topic...but

I don't blame you as I have gone through installing and then ditching
Solaris more than a few times myself. This last time with Solaris 10
10/08 I think it's going to be a keeper.
I think it's worth running Solaris and the native ZFS. It won't cost
you anything but time and some grey hairs. But may I suggest you
download the Solaris installation check tool and burn a disc, boot it
and see what it says about your drivers, before downloading the
Solaris DVD...
Oh I *have* got it running. But on Core-2 Quad, not AMD-64.

Try as they might, by the time Sun get Solaris back-tailored to, and
re-optimized for, 32-bit++, vs massively threaded 64-bit T1 and
sucessors, the 'competition' will have gained another parsec.

Think it through:

IBM AIX, zOS, and/or Linux on Power5&6 have taken the high(est) ground
away from Sun.

HP-UX on Itanic revanche (pa-risc was a better chip..but never mind..)
are close behind, and have taken the upper-middle - and downwards...
Worse for Sun - HP have woken up to to the IBM 'service not hardware'
model and are chasing Sun out of *that* business.

AMD-64 - running 4 zillion different Linux distros, and 3 of the 4 major
*BSD's have the 'middle' under Dell, any other hardware brand - or no
brand atall.

If 2007-8 was DragonFly's year-of-the HAMMER, 2009-10 may well be the
year DFLY gets serious about 64-bit SMP, making it 4 for 4.

(I have no 'inside' information - but HAMMER is stable enough to allow
the focus to shift, and Matt has just got to be bone-weary of it and in
need of a mental break...)

Intel Core-2 and successors have the desktops, gamers and other
WinMadness, and low-end servers upwards as far as tight monetary budgets
can reach, (and there is never a shortage of tight budgets).

ARM and friends have the low-end.....

The walls have been closing in on Sun for quite some time now.

Hopefully more 'good stuff' will be ported out of Solaris before it hits
the 'too costly vs the alternatives' wall and is orphaned.

As it will be. 'wall' that.

Yesss. My old friend HP MPE-3000 refuses to die .. but mainstream it no
longer is. Nor Irix... So too Solaris, and in not a lot more time.

http://finance.yahoo.com/q/ks?s=JAVA

How long can Sun show a gross profit of half their gross revenue ... yet
post that sort of per-share loss?

Bill