2.2 Release Progress Update #2

Matthew Dillon dillon at apollo.backplane.com
Sun Feb 15 21:35:40 PST 2009

:Questions w/r Rel 2.2 and HAMMER:
:
:Query 1:
:
:I've just started running 2.3.0 DEVELOPMENT of 11 FEB 09, which has
:version 1 of HAMMER, calls Version 2 a WIP.
:
:- Will 2.2 have the Version 2 / 'WIP' or otherwise?

    No.  Its still version 1 because the version 2 tests did not pan
    out.  Do not use version 2 (and the hammer program will complain a
    lot if you try).

:Query 2:
:
:w/r an example in man 5 hammer
:
:AR:(word-wrap aside)
:
:     hammer pfs-master /home/pfs/master
:
:     hammer pfs-slave /home/pfs/slave shared-uuid=<master's shared uuid>
:
:First line of the return indicates success.
:Creating PFS #XX	suceeded!
:
:However - where /home is itself a pfs mount, as in the default install,
:a warning message will follow on the next three lines:
:You are attempting to access a PFS softlink... et al
:
:Further operations fail with that error message and/or no such file.

    It wants you to create the actual PFS softlinks on PFS #0... the root
    mount.

:Observation:
:
:IF one works from the root of the fs instead of form the PFS mounts:
:
:     hammer pfs-master /pfs/master
:
:(details returned)
:
:     hammer pfs-slave /pfs/slave shared-uuid=<from above return>
:
:(details returned)
:
:     hammer mirror-copy /pfs/master /pfs/slave
:
:Throws the next roadblock.
:
:WEF 2.3.0 it appears that these now are now automagically nullfs mounted
:as a byproduct of the above - eg: it returns:
:
:'Cannot access PFS /pfs/master: No such file or directory
:...
:But there is good news:
:
:w/o the 'pfs':
:
:     hammer mirror-copy /master /slave

    They are not null-mounted by the hammer utility.  It only creates the
    softlinks.

:OTOH - I'm not yet able to get the user at host via ssh remote equivalent
:to work, with or without a pre-existing slave on the target.
:
:I thought it was to be possible to mount at points other-than '/' such
:as to make selected substs available / exportable / mirror-able?
:
:I have man 5 hammer, man 8 hammer, and such messages in the newsgroup as
:I could find.
:
:What else am I missing?
:
:Thanks,
:
:Bill Hacker

    No, you can only mirror whole PFSs.  You cannot mirror subdirectory
    trees.

:mount_null /pfs/master /master
:
:but did NOT allow:
:
:mount_null /pfs/slave /slave
:
:with a
:.despite citing the matching pfs number in the error message.

    You should be able to mount the slave after you've done the initial
    mirroring operation.  The slave has no root directory until the initial
    mirroring operation has been done (the root directory has to be
    mirrored from the master first).

    However, any mount_null will lock the slave's transaction id... you
    are mounting a snapshot, not the current state of the slave.

					<dillon at backplane.com>