Updating USB stack from FBSD 8.x and others

Oliver Fromme check+kun5nk00rsmujhvw at fromme.com
Mon Dec 14 04:12:33 PST 2009

elekktretterr at exemail.com.au wrote:
 > > Just out of curiosity, what's wrong with BTX + loader?
 > > It's working quite well for me, and I like the fact that
 > > it is scriptable so you can do whatever you want, e.g.
 > > create your own menus and so on.  (Admittedly FORTH is
 > > not the most intuitive language to program in, but you
 > > get used to it.)
 >
 > Hardware. I've had 2 keyboards now(USB wireless) that simply dont work in
 > loader. So chainloading wont help. Meanwhile they work perfect in GRUB. I
 > would expect plenty more keyboards to be made that will not work. Its a
 > hassle that need not be.

The problem with USB keyboards was fixed in FreeBSD
recently.  Since DragonFly bascially shares the same
loader, maybe it's time to sync it to FreeBSD.

 > And in regards to scripts and making menu the way you want. Editing grub
 > menu is super easy, but you know. A nice graphical DragonFly logo in grub
 > would also lighten things up.

You mean like this?

http://www.secnetix.de/olli/FreeBSD/vloader/screenshot6.png

This is an actual screen shot from the loader menu while
booting up DragonFly within qemu.  It requires a patched
loader.  If anybody is interested to give it a try, here
are instructions (also for DragonFly):

http://wiki.freebsd.org/OliverFromme/BootLoaderTest

Beware, this is currently experimental code.

Best regards
   Oliver