optional or suggested dependencies

justin at shiningsilence.com justin at shiningsilence.com
Mon Dec 14 06:38:10 PST 2009

> When I installed bison on my Ubuntu box, apt suggested that I also install
> bison-doc, but didn't install it automatically. Does pkgsrc or pkgin have
> such a concept?

There are options to pkgsrc packages, when building from source, that can
bring in optional features.  'bmake show-options' will list any that
apply, plus it will print out the options when first building.  The
"Building Packages" section here mentions it:

http://www.dragonflybsd.org/docs/howtos/HowToPkgsrc/

The pkg-message file in each directory is also printed after install, so
if there's any hints for other packages, they will be listed there.

I've also noticed that many of the linux packaging systems split up
applications into different parts, with a -doc version for documentation
and a -devel version for headers, etc.  I haven't seen that with pkgsrc,
which makes me happy.