cpdup: get latest source tarball, or git?

Michel Salim michael.silvanus at gmail.com
Sat Aug 22 09:29:44 PDT 2009

On Sat, 2009-08-22 at 09:07 -0700, Matthew Dillon wrote:

>     The one in our git repo is the master copy.  I try to maintain
>     separate copies when individuals ask for specific portable items,
>     and also for packaging systems which want to fetch tarballs with
>     ftp, but I don't always manage to sync them up.
>
>     Because tarballs are MD5'd by packaging systems I can't update them
>     once released, short of rolling another version.  I don't like rolling
>     another version just for minor non-operational changes such as
>     modifications to manual pages.

Fair enough, I'll rebase the patch to git master before submitting,
then. What puzzles me is the chronology of this particular sequence --
was the tarball generated by hand, or using git archive? Because the
version number change it contained did not show up on the git master
until days after the release, which led me to worry if there are more
than one repos involved.

Thanks,

--
Michel