How to configure DragonFly?

Jeremy C. Reed reed at reedmedia.net
Mon Apr 20 14:03:57 PDT 2009

On Mon, 20 Apr 2009, Colin Adams wrote:

> Now that I've managed to install DragonFly (and have a working system
> again) by avoiding using the installer, I need to configure my system.
> The handbook just shows the menus from the installer. Is it possible
> to just type a command that will launch that menu system? If not, what
> commands do I need to run to perform these tasks?
>
> P.S. I have no experience of BSD systems, but I've been running Linux
> for 14 years, so I am familiar with this sort of thing. It's just that
> there are just sufficient differences for me to feel lost.

I am not sure what menu system you need for post configuration.

Does the system at least boot and provide a working login prompt and you
can get to your shell? Did you get all the sets installed?

Depending where you are you may be able to run "installer".

If your networking is not setup, see
http://www.dragonflybsd.org/docs/handbook/handbook-config-network-setup/

If you need to add a user or group, see
http://www.dragonflybsd.org/docs/handbook/handbook-users-modifying/
(see note about "wheel" group)

You may also want to look at
http://www.dragonflybsd.org/docs/handbook/handbook-configtuning-rcng/
and add sshd_enable=YES to your /etc/rc.conf and run /etc/rc.d/sshd start

You can use binary packages. Maybe "pkg_radd apache" will work for you.

Or here is a Howto for pkgsrc, but I didn't check to see how relevant or
up-to-date: http://www.dragonflybsd.org/docs/howtos/HowToPkgsrc/

If you have specific questions, be sure to ask.

I didn't see any afterboot manpage ... is there any single manpage that
points to basic and normal first steps after installation? Is there any
document comparing common Linux to DragonFly?