PHP and apache

Sascha Wildner saw at online.de
Mon Apr 27 12:01:59 PDT 2009

Justin C. Sherrill schrieb:
On Thu, April 23, 2009 6:43 am, Steve O'Hara-Smith wrote:
cd /usr
make pkgsrc-checkout
Would it be worth making this an optional step at install time?  Opinions?
 Don't know if there's a way to automate it.
Justin,

the problem is actually a bit more complex. Let me try to explain...

We do have 2 things already:

* /usr/Makefile's 'pkgsrc-checkout' target which will checkout
pkgsrc-current.

* The /usr/pkgsrc-all.tgz tarball on the LiveCD which is the pkgsrc tree
the LiveCD was built with. AFAIK corecode uses 2008Q4 at the moment for
both the LATEST-Devel.iso and the LATEST-Release-2.2.iso. I'm not sure
what Matt uses but I guess 2008Q4 too.

If we decide to install /usr/pkgsrc as part of the installation process
we need to think about which pkgsrc that should be (current or last
release?). What I _don't_ want to do is to add a _third_ way of checking
out /usr/pkgsrc (to the installer).

The pkgsrc tree on the LiveCD has the problem that it's missing the CVS/
directories so it might be awkward to simply update via CVS if copied to
the system. This could be fixed of course by just no longer excluding
CVS/ directories from the CD's tarball. But it would stay at the branch
which was used for building the CD.

If we would decide on using the tree the CD was built with, it would be
as easy as just including the CD's /usr/pkgsrc in the list of
directories to copy over upon installation. In this case, what would
happen to /usr/Makefile? If someone did 'make pkgsrc-checkout' it would
try to checkout current over some branch. Haven't tried it out, but I
guess that would break in some way.

Any ideas?

I'm really unsure because each solution has a different set of pros and
cons.

Sascha

--
http://yoyodyne.ath.cx