Consequences of major libc changes

Matthew Dillon dillon at apollo.backplane.com
Tue Apr 14 09:43:32 PDT 2009

:
:2009/4/14 Hasso Tepper <hasso at estpak.ee>:
:> * CIRCLEQ macros were removed from queue.h. I'm not the right person to
:>  comment whether it's a right thing to do or not, but so far only FreeBSD
:>  did that.
:
:>From FreeBSD svn log:
:
:Revision 70469
:Modified Fri Dec 29 09:55:40 2000 UTC (8 years, 3 months ago) by phk
:
:CIRCLEQs are a disgrace to everything Knuth taught us in Volume 1 Chapter 2.
:Retire them before anybody starts to use them again.
:Use TAILQ instead, it provides the same functionality.
:Just out of curiosity I checked the nvi-m17/ port and what they do is
:include their queue.h _plus_ the missing symbols:
:
:http://www.freebsd.org/cgi/cvsweb.cgi/ports/editors/nvi-m17n/files/patch-ac?rev=1.1;content-type=text%2Fplain
:
:The queue_dist.h file mentioned in the above patch,  is identical to queue.h:
:
:ports/editors/nvi-m17n/Makefile:
:nvi-m17n/Makefile:      ${LN} -s /usr/include/sys/queue.h
:${WRKSRC}/../include/sys/queue_dist.h
:
:Not sure what's the right thing to do.
:
:Cheers,
:Stathis

    No third-party program should depend upon sys/queue.h, it isn't a
    standard header file for ANY system.

    I think the solution is for the third party program to have its own
    copy that works for it.

					<dillon at backplane.com>