Consequences of major libc changes

Hasso Tepper hasso at estpak.ee
Mon Apr 13 04:30:01 PDT 2009

A short list of problems based on first bulk build ...

* It introduced some new _POSIX defines in unistd.h which are clearly
  wrong for us -  _POSIX_BARRIERS and _POSIX_SPIN_LOCKS are such examples.
  I hope that Peter will fix these ASAP, but ...

  Although libthread_xu implements barriers, we can't use these because
  libc_r doesn't. In fact it's the main reason why I vote fro libc_r
  removal. Any takers for this task?

  There are some more stuff besides spinlocks which is mandatory nowadays
  we don't implement yet. Any takers for this task?

* There is major problem with DragonFly that too many packages need
  patching to include unistd.h - especially stuff using C++, but C
  packages as well. This might be right thing to do, but I still would
  like to avoid it. Any ideas?

* Most of strings related stuff is now at string.h and strings.h is for
  BSD only stuff as needed. But it's problem for packages that in NetBSD
  strings.h includes string.h, and not vice versa, as DragonFly also did
  before libc changes. Now DragonFly doesn't any more. Maybe we should
  reintroduce this include?

I'm sure there are more problems, but so far so good.

--
Hasso Tepper