VLC problem running on DragonFly 2.0.0

Archimedes Gaviola archimedes.gaviola at gmail.com
Sun Oct 12 21:55:38 PDT 2008

On Sun, Oct 12, 2008 at 2:30 AM, Max Herrgaard <herrgaard at gmail.com> wrote:
>> Hi Max,
>
>    Hi again.
>
>> This time I have successfully installed the sound card driver of my
>> laptop which is an Intel high definition audio by recompiling the
>> kernel again through adding device pcm and device snd_hda modules then
>
>    Usually you add support either by compiling it into the kernel or
> by loading the modules.
>    If you use GENERIC the line 'snd_hda_load="YES"' in
> /boot/loader.conf should load the module.
>    'kldload snd_hda' at a prompt works too.

Yes you're right. kldload is the alternative way of loading modules.

>> it works fine while VLC is executed in the console. This time with
>
>    In console? Do you mean without running Xorg?

Yes, executing at the terminal console with command-line way of
running VLC. The terminal console is running also on top of Xorg/Xfce
environment.

>> Xfce4 desktop environment, running VLC on the GUI will also occur the
>> core dump issue and the VLC process just died right after the moment
>> it is executed. What should be the parameters of the ktrace to track
>> VLC process executed on top of Xfce4?
>
>    Do you start it from a menu? What is the start command for that
> menu item? You could try
>    to change it to include ktrace, something like 'ktrace vlc'.
>        If you'd like a large ktrace dump file, you could try a
> complete ktrace of xfce. Try 'ktrace -i startx'.
>    Remember this will generate a LARGE dump file. 'ktrace -C' turns
> all ongoing tracing off.

Yes, I start it from the Xfce4 menu then proceed to multimedia
sub-menu where VLC is located. VLC will appear on this area after
pkgsrc installation. Clicking VLC here will cause the VLC process to
die or exit right away and a core dumped message will be reported on
the dmesg. Okay, I'll try ktrace with your recommended parameters.

>> I also attached the dmesg output of the detected Intel sound card driver.
>>
>> Thanks,
>> Archimedes
>>

>    I don't know how xfce does this kind of things. Maybe you need to
> change something in its sound
>    settings or add a startup option. Does sound work at all within
> xfce, or is it only vlc that fails?

I do an ongoing investigation of the problem, I will check sound card
related configurations. Sound works with Xfce4 because as I've tried
another multimedia player MPlayer, it will work on this sound card.

>  Did you compile xfce yourself or did you use packages?

I encountered problems while compiling VLC on DragonFly-2.0.0 with the
latest release (0.9.4) on a tarball source and I still need to report
this to the VLC support forum. Xfce4 was compiled using pkgsrc
(2008Q2). Below is the info of the package.

$ pkg_info vlc
Information for vlc-0.8.6fnb2:

Comment:
VideoLAN Client